Training Scenario #5:
Seamanship and Pump Work
Much of this scenario can be conducted alongside.
- The Coxswain (or designate) should lead a discussion on COLREGs, lights and buoys.
- The crew should demonstrate knot tying skills: Round Turn and two half hitches, Bowline, Sheet Bend, Reef Knot
- The correct way of coiling and stowing a line
- Line materials and their purpose, characteristics and benefits
- Discussion on verbal orders, (i.e., line handling)
- Discuss and demonstrate oil spill management
- Fire up pump and operate in dewatering mode.
- Operate pump in personnel fire extraction mode.
Day or night, all weather
- Ensure pump is thoroughly cleaned with fresh water
- Demonstrate Deep Bay Harbour spill kit
Crew Resource Management, Vessel Safety, Vessel Emergencies, Collision Regulations (review), Lights & Buoys, Nav Aids (review), Seamanship (Knots), SAR Prevention, Anchoring, Pump, Environmental/Pollution